Monday, May 12, 2008

Monday may 12th- "first day in the field"

So after a week of research today was my first day "in the field". This morning at 9 am I went over to GDS and met with Elaine Scott, I got a chance to sit down in her office and talk to her for about 20 minutes, and ask her all the questions on my questionnaire. She then gave me an AMAZING hour and fifteen minute tour of the school, and we talked the entire time through that as well. 

I also got a chance to see my best friend Riley who is a senior at GDS, and ask her the same questions I got to ask Elaine, and the differences in their answers were minimal, which just show the connect between the students and the admin. is small. GDS is a wonderful place filled with students excited to learn and the classrooms are set up in a way where every student's face is visible, so no one can fall through the cracks. In fact from the classes we stopped through, ranging from AP Psychology to evolutionary biology to art to junior "lit" every single student was bright-eyed and talking, and this was first block mind you..

It was really cool to visit another high school as a high school senior and compare and contrast to proctor, it was also nice to visit knowing I was not trying to get in there, so I could be more relaxed and really take in everything Elaine was saying, and fully absorb the school's unique liberal environment.

When i got home I was able to right a reflection of the school, so all the info Elaine told me could be included, which I would love to include on this post, but when i try to copy and paste from word it refuses to go on my blog which ( i'm not going to lie-IS REALLY FRUSTRATING..)

peace+love
Abbie












No comments: